Wednesday 7 May 2008

FAIL!

Ok, so my intention to update this piece of nonsense daily has clearly died on it's arse. I am sure, however, that this is simply a minor blip.

G is off to Munich for a few days, and I'd be lying if I said I wasn't mad jealous. Germany has always interested me for one reason or another, mainly because I like sausages and beer.

I have to say that Western Mainland Europe (Blighty aside) hasn't featured much in my travel history apart from a trip to Italy when I was about a year old (which doesn't count) and a 2 hour stopover in Amsterdam (which, again, doesn't count...although I did knock myself out...). Prague would be the Westernmost place I've had the pleasure of visiting, which was in 1999 on a School exchange thing and just before it became really popular with tourists. I'd love to go back to Prague, the city is amazing, and it would be good to go back so I could (legally) enjoy some of the beers. I'm not sure just how "touristy" Prague is now, given it's a capital city you can't expect it to be all Cathedrals and Castles with no Starbucks.

When I were a lad, I can remember feeling really jealous towards most of my classmates at school when everyone was talking about their Summer holidays. Whilst they were talking about going to Tenerife, Lanzarote and Disneyland, I was going to Gairloch, Lochinver and Orkney. To an 8 year old kid, you can guess what the more attractive destination was there. However, we did go on one "Summer Sun" holiday to Cyprus when I was 12 or so. Whilst we all enjoyed the holiday, it did get pretty boring just sitting around by the pool all day. After than I came to realise that I would never be one for beach holidays and that, despite my previous pangs of jealousy or whatever, I wouldn't have swapped those holidays in Gairloch, Lochinver and Orkney for anything...well, maybe the Gairloch one, I got the shits.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

How did you manage to knock yourself out in Amsterdam when you were only there for two hours?

Walt Flanagan's Dog said...

Skills.