Thursday 30 October 2008

My attempt at a Blues song...

"Sleeping in the station with a Daily Record for a pillow" by Limpin' Lightnin' Carter

I woke up this morning with a crick in my neck
I woke up this morning with a crick in my neck
Newsprint on my face and nothing left on my disability check

There ain't no room in this world for this ol' lame armadillo
and I'm sleeping in the station with a Daily Record for a pillow

My woman went and left me just like every other.
She jumped into my truck and shacked up with my brother.
She took my car, my house, my money...but god I still love her.

But there ain't no way of getting her back, oh no no no no
'cause I'm sleeping in a station with a Daily Record for a pillow.

I stole to make my way in life, I got caught by the man.
So he handed me a pack and rifle and shipped me out to Vietnam.
I fought my way through marsh and jungle to kill a guy name Charlie
One shot later I was shipped back home to the streets of Tennessee.

I dream of a different life, a house, a home, but for now though
I'm sleeping in the station with a Daily Record for a pillow.
That could possibly be my first ever attempt at writing a song. I'll be the first to point out there are some glaring problems with it. Firstly I would question why a gentleman who has clearly based himself in America (Vietnam, the streets of Tennessee) uses a Daily Record for a pillow. And I'll happily admit to using a rhyming dictionary for most (all) of it.

Now I just need someone to write some damn music for it.

No comments: